Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Update on Asia Bibi

Like Iranian Pastor Nadarkhani, Asia Bibi of Pakistan has spent another Christmas in prison. Spero News reported on her conditions as of December 20th in an article titled, "Pakistan: Christmas in prison for Asia Bibi, sentenced to death for blasphemy"; the subtitle says it all:
She appears frail, in poor health.
Grateful for prayers and calls for help and support, that she may soon return to embrace her husband and daughters. Despite the suffering, Asia has forgiven her captors and wonders how many more Christian victims will fall beneath the specter of the "black law".
According to the article, on December 19, "...a delegation of the International Masihi Foundation, an NGO that deals with the legal protection of women, visited her to exchange greetings on the eve of the festive season." They conducted an interview with Asia Bibi.

Based on some of the description of Asia Bibi's reactions and appearance, it seems that she may be being treated poorly as well. The article mentions that she is "fragile and very weak, she can barely stand up," and that when a guard entered the room and the delegation asked her how she was being treated, she looked away and refused to answer the question. She also stated that "I would not wish even my worst enemy to suffer what I myself have had to endure, what both I and my family have experienced since that terrible June 9."

Among some of the answers to the questions, Asia stated the following

-- "I continue to pray and fast for my family. I wish with all my being to be with my family. I want to hug my daughters. And I still cherish the hope that one day I will be freed."

-- "Please continue to pray for my return to my family. And I am immensely grateful for the prayers."

-- "I have forgiven those people who charged me with blasphemy."

-- "This is a chapter in my life that I would love to shut behind me and forget."

I have also seen some rumors going about on Twitter that Asia Bibi's husband has since refused to visit her and that he is making money off of publicizing her situation. As of right now, these rumors remain speculative at best.


Please continue to pray for Asia Bibi. For ideas on what you can do to help, please see this post as well as search through the archives... in various posts there are numerous suggestions on how you can get involved. If you would like to give a contribution to help support Asia Bibi's family, I suggest you contact The Voice of the Martyrs, tell them that you want to give to the "Families of Prisoners" fund, and ask if they can use it toward Asia Bibi's family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback; it's very important to me. If you have anything to add, please feel free to do so. Just keep the content clean and please be respectful. Thank you.