Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

While I do not particularly celebrate St. Patrick's Day, I have always enjoyed hearing his story. Thirteen Three shared this today on their facebook page, and I thought it fit quite well with this blog, so here it is for your enjoyment!

---------------

Have you ever wondered what St Patrick’s Day (17 March) is all about? Who was Saint Patrick anyway?


Patrick was born in Britain in the fourth century AD and was kidnapped by Irish pirates when he was 15 years old. He was sold as a slave to an Irish Druid (a tribal chieftan). During his six year captivity, Patrick developed a strong faith in God. “I would pray all the time, right through the day,” he wrote in his autobiography, Confessions.

When he was 22, Patrick escaped and returned to Britain, guided by a dream. But he felt compelled to share Jesus with the Irish so several years later, he went back to Ireland, this time as a missionary.
Patrick wrote,

I had to endure insults from unbelievers…and suffer many persecutions…I am ready and willing to give up my own life, without hesitation, for His name.
Patrick spread the Gospel across Ireland and taught people how to read and write. He preached at racetracks and other public places, seeing many come to Christ despite violent opposition from the Druids.

“As every day arrives, I expect either sudden death or deception or being taken back as a slave or some such other misfortune. But I fear none of these, since I…have flung myself into the hands of the all-powerful God.”

Patrick travelled throughout Ireland, sharing Christ until his death, around 461 AD.

We may never be enslaved, imprisoned or beaten because of our faith in Christ, but many may make fun of us for believing in Jesus… I pray this version of St Patrick’s courageous life will inspire you to stand firm in Christ and stand strong for Him as you tell others about the greatest gift we can ever be given – salvation through Jesus!

Extract from: The Story of St Patrick, by Voice of the Martyrs and Cheryl Odden, 2006.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I have never heard the story of St Patrick before. What a wonderful man he was. He would have been very surprised to know the whole world celebrates his day. Thank you.
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback; it's very important to me. If you have anything to add, please feel free to do so. Just keep the content clean and please be respectful. Thank you.